Butterfly Pavilion is currently seeking a creative, highly motivated, and energetic individual to assist in animal care, animal handling and animal record keeping as part of a team of talented and experienced staff and volunteers. The primary goal of a Butterfly Pavilion Curatorial Internship is for students to gain knowledge and hands-on training in invertebrate animal husbandry.
Company Description: Butterfly Pavilion combines science education with interactive fun to teach visitors about invertebrates and conservation. Invertebrates- animals without backbones, make up 97% of all animal species on the planet! Our zoo is designed to showcase the diversity of these small wonders, their habitats, and the big role they play in ensuring the health of our environment. Five immersive exhibits, including a tropical rainforest filled with 1600 free-flying butterflies, provide visitors of all ages with an unforgettable experience. We are the zoo of small wonders and BIG experiences!
Mission: Butterfly Pavilion’s mission is to foster an appreciation of invertebrates while educating the public about the importance of conservation of threatened habitats in the tropics and around the world.
- Responsible for the day-to-day care for all animals on exhibit and behind the scenes, including terrestrial, flighted, and marine invertebrate collections.
- Prepare food and feed all animals.
- Maintain daily records on all animal care.
- Assist with accessioning and deaccessioning animals to the collection.
- Clean and maintain all exhibit and behind-the-scene areas.
- Provide support to Curatorial team members.
- Attend monthly meetings for AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) recertification, and complete homework as assigned.
- Assist Curatorial team in USDA regulation compliance.
- Develop and execute an independent project to emphasize particular interest and expand the knowledge base of the Curatorial Department.
- Assist in medical treatments and special projects.
- Assist Curatorial team in new exhibit planning, as requested.
- Provide public customer service, education, and animal contact/interaction in the exhibit areas of the Butterfly Pavilion.
- Experience in aquarium keeping and courses in animal biology, invertebrate zoology, marine biology, and/or entomology are helpful.
- Previous Butterfly Pavilion Curatorial internship experience preferred.
- Pursuing or holding a degree in biology, environmental sciences or related fields.
- Interest in invertebrate animal husbandry and care.
- Basic computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets).
- Willingness to handle animals (all training provided onsite).
- Criminal background check.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Individuals of all ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Reports to: Lead Zookeeper
Duration of Internship: Lead Zookeeper Interns will complete 500+ hours, typically aligned with school trimesters.
Hours per week: 3 days per week/24 hours per week
- Spring Term – November 1st, 2017
- Summer Term – April 1st, 2018
- Fall Term – July 1st, 2018
- Spring – January 9th, 2018
- Summer – May 22nd, 2018
- Fall – August 28th, 2018
Stipend: Unpaid; school credit can be earned for this internship in most cases
To Apply: Click here to apply https://butterflies.applicantpro.com/jobs/718639-20970.html, or email a resume and a cover letter to Sarah Triplett, Lead Zookeeper, email@example.com.