Inclusivity through Personal and Organizational Cultural Competency
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Cost: $ 50. Includes lunch.
Cultural competence is a key factor in enabling interpreters and educators to be effective with participants from cultures other than their own. Through a series of exercises, discussions and self-reflective activities participants will examine their personal cultural competence, increasing their ability to understand, communicate with, and effectively interact with all people. Participants will develop awareness and build skills which will lead to increased ability to understand their cultural shaping as individuals and institutions and examine ways to be more inclusive in messaging and programming.
Participants will explore…
- The relationship between culture and the diversity.
- Looking at our individual cultural background, including privilege.
- How do cultural values shape our attitudes and opinions, and affect our behavior?
- Skills for respectful dialogue across differences that can support us at work and in the community.
- Tools and strategies to manage behaviors in work and community environments.
- What does cultural competence looks like at the organizational level?