Butterfly Pavilion Summer Teen Volunteers learn about our awesome invertebrate animals, gain interpretation skills through a comprehensive training course, and provide hands-on interpretation in our exhibits.
The summer will also include a kickoff party, field trip, resume writing workshop, end-of-season awards, and more opportunities to explore your interests, all while having a great time!
- Summer teen volunteers must be able to actively and enthusiastically interact with Butterfly Pavilion guests of all ages and diverse backgrounds. This opportunity is best for those with an interest in invertebrates, conservation, or education.
- Must be 13-17 yrs of age AND in or entering high school in 2018.
Key Duties & Activities:
- Learn all about invertebrate animals, their habitats, and conservation issues they face as well as how to provide excellent interpretation and a great guest experience.
- Interact with our guests of all ages, providing interpretation at a variety of interactive discovery stations throughout the exhibits.
- Assist with special events and in other Butterfly Pavilion operations. Options vary based upon schedule and include:
- Gardening: Work alongside our Horticulture staff and volunteers to keep our exhibits, gardens, and nature trail flourishing and assist with citizen science projects.
- Guest Surveys: Assist guests in filling out surveys to help us gather ideas on how to improve visitor experiences and make exciting new changes at Butterfly Pavilion.
- Youth Groups: Provide a warm welcome, answer questions, help with directions, and enthusiastically interact with groups of young visitors.
- Camps: Become a counselor in training, helping camp educators with set-up, leading games and activities, and being a positive role model for our 5-10 year old campers.
- Birthday Parties: Help staff with set-up and clean-up as well as with guest check-in and facilitating crafts and other Birthday Party activities.
- Work independently or in small groups to create a poster presentation about a favorite volunteer activity or learning experience during your summer. At the end of the season, present your poster to staff, volunteers, and special guests – parents and family invited!
- 60 hours of volunteer training and service between June 7th and August 9th, 2018.
- A regular weekly schedule of 8:45am – 3:00pm on a Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, or Sun.
- Attendance at other required program dates:
- Parents & Teen Session: Wed, May 30, 5:30 – 7:00pm
- Training: Thu, June 7, AND Thu, June 14, 9:30am – 5:00pm
- Poster Presentations: Fri, July 27, 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Apply by April 20th, 2018:
Please note that applications will be evaluated and the most qualified candidates will be chosen for interviews. All applicants will be contacted. Interviews will be held on May 9th and 10th.