Butterfly Pavilion’s Core Volunteers are the “backbone” of our daily operations, making a huge difference in every department!
Core Volunteers are asked to commit to a weekly shift (about 4 hours per shift, depending on department) for at least 6 months, though many of our volunteers stay for a year or longer.
What does it take to become one of Butterfly Pavilion’s Core Volunteers?
- Core Volunteers must be at least 13 years old
- Volunteer must complete an application and interview before being selected to join the team
- Once selected, volunteers must complete orientation and pass a criminal background check
- Core volunteers pay a one time on-boarding fee of $25, which helps our nonprofit zoo offset the costs for volunteer t-shirts, nametags, and trainings
- Core Volunteers must attend position specific and facility wide trainings throughout the year
- Court mandated volunteers will not be accepted at this time
What do Core Volunteers do?
Specialize in sharing the star of our show, Rosie the Tarantula, with our guests (must be 18 years or older)
Train to work in all four of our exhibits, or choose just one or two- it’s up to you!
Help our Horticulture Staff keep our rainforest, gardens, and Nature Trail in tip-top shape throughout the year.
Assist our Research and Conservation team in caring for dragonflies, damselflies, tarantulas and other invertebrates.
Give our visiting groups memories to last a lifetime by greeting them and supplying information to make their experience run smoothly
Aid our Guest Services team in welcoming and directing guests, as well as in administrative needs to support their efforts.
Support our staff in tagging and arranging inventory, as well as greeting guests in our lovely gift shop.
Ready to join the team? Click below to fill out an application!
Volunteer applications must be submitted no less than three weeks before each volunteer orientation date in order to be considered for that on-boarding period. Upcoming 2017 Orientation dates are:
August 5th – All Volunteers 8-11 am, Exhibit Ambassador Training 12-5 pm
October 7th – All Volunteers 8-11 am, Exhibit Ambassador Training 12-5 pm
November 11th – All Volunteers 8-11 am, Exhibit Ambassador Training 12-5 pm
*Please note that an application and interview must be completed, and that we seek to find the right fit both for our volunteers and for Butterfly Pavilion; unfortunately not all volunteer applicants will be selected to join the team. Once selected, orientation a criminal background check will be required for all new volunteers.